A compact toilet is a toilet that is specifically designed to be installed in a small environment. The best compact toilet for small bathrooms will have a one-piece design and will have a self cleaning surface.
Not everybody has the luxury of a spacious bathroom, so many people look for space-saving solutions like compact toilets for small bathrooms. Using one of these toilets can make your bathroom appear larger and more open. It can help you feel more organized and they are typically easier to clean.
What makes a toilet more compact is its shape and length. Also, compact toilets can still be efficient, offering features like a dual-flush system and self-cleaning capabilities.
There are a lot of things to consider when buying a compact toilet for small bathrooms. You must consider things like length, flush type, and GPF (Gallons Per Flush), among other factors.
In this article, we will take a look at all the best compact toilets. All the toilets on this list will provide a comfortable bathroom experience while taking up minimal space, where you are replacing an old toilet, or you’re building a new house.
- 1. GALBA Small Toilet – Best Overall
- 2. Saniflo 023 SANICOMPACT – Best Space Saving Toilet
- 3. KOHLER 3810-0 Santa Rosa – Most Comfortable
- 4. American Standard Height Elongated Toilet – Best Two-Piece Toilet
- 5. TOTO CST412MF.01 Aquia Elongated Toilet – Best Dual Flush Toilet
- 6. WoodBridge T-0001 Toilet – Best One Piece Toilet
- 7. Nature’s Head Self Contained Composting Toilet – Best Eco-Friendly Toilet
- Things You Must Know Before Buying a Compact Toilet
- Space Saving Ideas for Small Bathrooms
- Ready to Save Space In Your Bathroom With a Compact Toilets For Small Bathrooms?
Are Compact Toilets Comfortable?
The better designed the toilet is, the more comfortable you’ll be. There are some compact toilets that are more comfortable than others, but a toilet won’t be less comfortable just because its a compact model.
What Does Compact Elongated Mean?
Most compact toilets have an elongated bowl, which allows for a large seat size in a small space. This means the front of the toilet usually sticks out a little further than usual, but its worth it.
The 7 Most Compact Toilets for Small Bathrooms
|GALBA Small Toilet|
|Saniflo 023 SANICOMPACT|
|KOHLER 3810-0 Santa Rosa|
|American Standard Height Elongated Toilet|
|TOTO CST412MF.01 Aquia Elongated Toilet|
|WoodBridge T-0001 Toilet|
|Nature’s Head Self Contained Composting Toilet|
1. GALBA Small Toilet – Best Overall
- WHITE Color - 12" Rough-in (PLEASE CHECK BEFORE BUYING)
- One piece design and Self-Cleaning glazed surface would not scratch, rust, fade, or discolor
- Dual Siphonic Flush. 16.5" Comfort Height. cUPC and MaP flush score of 300.
- Slow closing nesting toilet seat (plastic) included
- IMPORTANT - Check verify rough-in to be at least 12" so this fits. RETURN Policy - Customer is responsible for shipping BOTH ways and 10% restocking fee.
This model is recognized as one of the shortest toilets in the market. It compromises neither aesthetics nor comfort despite the small size.
Designed as a skirted one-piece unit, this toilet is extremely easy to clean and maintain.
It comes with a detachable seat, elongated bowl, and flat surfaces. The self-cleaning surface gives a perfectly clean flush while preventing any skid marks. Additionally, it prevents the toilet from scratching, rusting and changing color.
What We Love About This Toilet
There are many things you are going to love when it comes to this toilet. First of all, you’ll love its look that features glazed surfaces. Its sleek design can give any bathroom a classy, stylish look.
Another thing you’ll surely love about this small GALBA toilet is its construction. It is designed to remain in excellent condition for many years, no matter how often you use it. That’s because only the finest materials are used in the construction of this toilet.
This small toilet is surprisingly powerful and efficient, thanks to its dual flush system. This mechanism ensures that your toilet stays clog free.
The only noteworthy downside is that the unit requires cleaning more frequently due to the low water level in the toilet bowl.
- Highly efficient
- Total comfort offered
- Dual flushing system
- Self-cleaning surface
- Slow closing seat
- Easy to install
- Low water level
2. Saniflo 023 SANICOMPACT – Best Space Saving Toilet
- BONUS HALF BATH: The Sanicompact is a self-contained dual-flush toilet system used to install a half bathroom up to 9 feet below the sewer line, or even up to 120 feet away from a soil stack. For residential use only.
- DUAL PURPOSE: The Sanicompact will also discharge gray water from a sink. The wastewater drains into a 1.25” hose connection in back of the toilet.
- EFFICIENCY AT ITS FINEST: The standard dual flush version uses 1.28 gpf or 1 gpf and uses less water than any regular toilet but with the same efficiency. The push button activates a timer and a solenoid valve in order to fill and wash the bowl.
- TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS: Motor: 0.5 HP oil-filled thermally protected; Noise level ≤ 53 dBA (Lp) (measured at 3 ft.); Discharge rate at 9 ft: 24 GPM; Certification code: CSA (IPC, NSPC); Connections: Sink
- 3 YEAR WARRANTY: All of Saniflo's products have a 2 year warranty with purchase, and an extended year with registration. Our warranty program can offer peace of mind, should a problem arise.
It is particularly suitable for a half-bath or a powder room in a very small location.
It should not come as a surprise. Just look at its dimensions – Its only 18.25 x 14.5 x 15.75 inches. On this toilet, the water tank is mounted inside. This makes one of the best compact toilets for small bathrooms.
Unique Design & One Click Flush
It also boasts a unique design that allows you to connect a sink. The dual flush is perfectly timed so that the amount of water used depends upon the water pressure.
You can trigger the flush by use of a button, flushing either 1 or 1.28 gallons of water, based on whether you want to wash away solid or liquid waste.
In addition to the electrical flushing system, the toilet uses a macerating mechanism that chops the waste into mush that can be pumped to the waste drain through a 1″ pipe. The wastewater gets removed from the wash basin. This is something that not many toilets offer.
- Impressive durability
- Uses the macerating system
- Comes with a rotatable discharge elbow
- Easy maintenance
- Low water consumption
- WaterSense certified
- The installation may take longer
- Quality control could be better
3. KOHLER 3810-0 Santa Rosa – Most Comfortable
- One piece toilets integrate the tank and bowl into a seamless, easy to clean design
- Compact elongated bowl offers added comfort while occupying the same space as a round front bowl
- Comfort height: Feature offers chair height seating that makes sitting down and standing up easier for most adults
- Standard left hand trip lever included
- 1.28 gallons per flush (gpf)
Actually, the tank is integrated into the toilet with the goal of saving space. It also keeps the aesthetic lines clean. The lid and seat are included.
Comfort Height® is another feature worth mentioning. By offering the chair-height sitting experience, this toilet caters to most adults. There’s no doubt you’ll be comfortable while using this toilet.
Easy to Clean & Powerful Flushing
The materials the bowl is made out of makes it easy to clean the toilet. You’ll no longer have to worry about waste remaining in tight corners and dirt accumulating in your toilet.
The toilet also uses a powerful flushing system that ensures good performance and impressive cleaning efficiency. As a result, your toilet will always remain clean.
This water-efficient toilet uses approximately 1.3 GPF (gallons per flush), which is a moderate amount of water as compared to your average 1.6 gallon GDF models.
- Seamless design
- Easy to clean
- Fully glazed
- Compact in size
- EPA WaterSense certified
- Flimsy plastic lid
4. American Standard Height Elongated Toilet – Best Two-Piece Toilet
- 2-Piece design features a separate tank and bowl
- Elongated bowl for greater comfort
- 16.5 in. Rim height is more comfortable and ADA compliant
- Siphon-action jetted bowl with fully glazed 2-1/8 in. trap-way provides a powerful flush
- Oversized 3 in. flush valve
This toilet is ADA compliant, EPA WaterSense certified, and features an ever clean antimicrobial surface. It’s got a 1.6 gallon single flush system, and its innovative design delivers a high pressure spray of water that cleans the toilet thoroughly. This means fewer clogs and higher performance. However, this flush mechanism can be a little complicated to the elderly.
- Ingenious features
- Easy to clean
- ADA compliant
- A variety of styles
- Handle is slightly hard to push
- Doesn’t come with a seat
5. TOTO CST412MF.01 Aquia Elongated Toilet – Best Dual Flush Toilet
- TOTO CST412MF.01 Aqua Dual Flush Elongated Two-Piece Toilet, 1.6GPF & 0.9GPF, Cotton White
Its stylish appearance is completed with a semi-skirted base, elongated front bowl, and chrome push button.
If you are on the lookout for a top performance 2-piece compact toilet that fits perfectly in a small bathroom and meets ADA specifications, look no further. This toilet is very likely the one you are looking for.
Low Water Consumption & Easy Installation
However, most people will opt for this toilet because of low water consumption. TOTO has what they call an ‘Aquia Dual Flush’ mechanism, that allows you to select how much water is used in each flush.
You can choose either 1.6 or 0.9 GPF (gallons per flush)depending on where its solid or liquid waste. You’ll conserve water and save money on water bills, and in the long run provides a lower TCO (Total Cost of Ownership).
The installation is simple. For most people, it’s not too big of a hassle to assemble the two-piece toilet. The skirted design prevents the toilet from interfering with the water supply pipes. That makes the installation process faster.
- WaterSense certified
- Great dual flush capability
- Universal height
- Low consumption
- Pretty compact
- Not suited for commercial use
- Prone to leaks
6. WoodBridge T-0001 Toilet – Best One Piece Toilet
- ✅ [LUXURIOUS MODERN DESIGN]: Luxurious Modern Design one piece toilet , Clean, sleek look and compliment with different styles like modern , craftsman , traditional and etc.
- ✅ [EASIEST TO CLEAN TOILET]: WOODBRIDGE toilets are the easiest to clean on the market, with a completely smooth, easy to wipe down surface. With our fully concealed trap-way, there are no bends or corners to gather dust. Also, no large mounting holes or ugly plastic caps to be seen.
- ✅ [QUITE AND POWERFUL FLUSHING]: Siphon Flushing one piece toilet, Fully glazed flush system , bringing a super quiet and powerful flushing - NO clogs, NO leaks, and NO problem
- ✅ [Map Flush 1000 Grams]: Best Maximum Performance Flush score of 1000 grams. Highly Recommended Map Scoring Toilet
- ✅ [COMFORT DESIGN]: Comfort Height Design, Chair-height seating that makes sitting down and standing up easier for most adults
Apart from its sleek finish to the bathroom, you’ll love this compact toilet because its also eco-friendly.
This Woodbridge toilet has plenty of other great features, such as the soft closing seat.
High End Seat & Quiet Flush
This high-end seat is equipped with a stainless steel hinge. The soft closing design ensures that the seat never slams. This reduces the risk of impact damage and cracks.
It’s got a super glazed bowl that allows for a more powerful, yet quieter flush than most toilets. Its got a dual-flush system, and its design minimizes the likelihood of dirt and limescale building up inside the toilet.
In addition to these amazing features, the Woodbridge toilet is popular with many homeowners because of its fantastic price. This enables people on a tight budget to get a great toilet at a great price.
- Soft closing seat for better comfort
- Dual flush capability
- Luxurious modern design
- Easy to clean
- Very affordable
- Difficult to install
- Must push and hold to activate the flush
7. Nature’s Head Self Contained Composting Toilet – Best Eco-Friendly Toilet
- No one - and I mean no one - will beat my customer service and individual support
- Easy to install by any reasonably handy person.
- Absolutely No Odor. No Maintenance. 5 Year Warranty.
- Huge Capacity. 2 people using full time will empty every 4-6 weeks. Easy empty in 5 minutes.
- A vast improvement over older composting toilet designs. This one works!
Since the water makes up over 90 percent of the waste, that liquid returns to the atmosphere through evaporation. The leftover solid materials get converted into fertilizer by means of decomposition.
This process involves quite a few things to get done. The waste must be composted without odor, while the liquid component should be evaporated effectively. Also, the compost is supposed to be easy and safe to handle.
Compact & Easy to Maintain
This self-contained toilet can do all of this efficiently and without the stench of compost. That makes it an ideal choice for people who want to go green by making use of compost.
The toilet is easy to maintain and clean. The container with liquids should be unloaded every other day or so, and it can be cleaned with water and a toilet brush. Also, this toilet is surprisingly easy to handle and transport.
- Environmentally friendly
- Big compost capacity
- Portable design
- Easy to disassemble
- Comes with a built-in fan
- Side latches are tight
- It requires emptying
Things You Must Know Before Buying a Compact Toilet
While all toilets have the same basic features that make it hard to go wrong, you should still be vigilant and wise when choosing a toilet.
Here’s what you need to consider when choosing a small toilet.
Size is definitely one of the most important factors when it comes to compact toilets.
Nobody wants to be hunched up and feel squeezed when using the bathroom.
It’s critical to choose a size that fits comfortably in your bathroom, and make sure its size doesn’t compromise overall comfort and functionality.
The width usually doesn’t cause any issues, but you should consider the height because too low of a toilet can ruin your bathroom experience.
Be Mindful of Length & Distance
Pay careful attention to the length (the distance between the front and back of the toilet). It will be a determining factor in your purchase decision. Its best to pick a toilet that is equal to or less than your previous toilet’s length.
Not only does doing that shave off a few inches and help you save a bit on floor space, but it also guarantees that the toilet will fit. So, how small should it be?
Typical toilet dimensions are somewhere around 27” (D) x 19” (W) x 26” (H). Anything with 26″ or less length is considered a ‘small’ toilet.
Most compact toilets are fitted with an ‘elongated’ bowl, and some are configured with a ‘compact’ bowl. For both types, the width is usually about the same.
Elongated-style toilets differ in length and tend to be about two inches longer than that on a compact bowl. The longer seat provides more thigh support, and many people find this much more comfortable.
A perfect example of a space-saving shape is the GALBA toilet (the first one on our list). This one-piece small toilet comes with an elongated bowl and well-rounded features that make help it fit into a bathroom well.
Type: One-Piece vs. Two-Piece Toilets
The type of construction can make a huge difference in space saving.
Basically, there are 2 types of toilets:
- One-piece toilets
- Two-piece toilets
In general, one-piece toilets are more space-friendly than their two-piece counterparts. This type of toilet is designed as one unit so that the tank and bowl are joined together.
The benefits of such construction include effortless cleanup and clean finish. There are no seams to harbor grime or dust. The biggest downside is that these toilets are more expensive.
In contrast, 2-piece toilets come with the bowl and water tank as seperate pieces that are attached. So, if either part needs to be replaced, you can safely remove it without having to remove the other.
Flushing efficiency is another factor to take into consideration. It’s always good to not waste anything if you don’t have to, and water isn’t free.
That’s why you should seek out bathroom accessories that are made with water conservation in mind.
Dual-flush toilets are typically more water efficient compared to a single flush system, but if you prefer a single-flush setup, be sure to pick one that features a good flushing efficiency, this is usually around 1.0 GPF (Gallons Per Flush).
Different models have different installation requirements.
That may include the size of the tank, plumbing, and water source. Make sure that you choose a model that’s easy to set up.
One-piece toilets are generally easier to install, as it is not necessary to connect the bowl to the tank. The installation comes down to one task, which is getting the toilet into position.
With regard to the installation of two-piece toilets, the good thing is that you will able to deal with the bowl and tank separately. The total weight is divided between these two parts, which makes things a whole lot easier.
Space Saving Ideas for Small Bathrooms
Do you have a tiny bathroom? Don’t despair. A small bathroom can be both stylish and functional.
You just need to find ways to maximize the available space and make the most of it.
Below are some space-saving tips and tricks to optimize space in a small bathroom.
Compact Toilets For Small Bathrooms
One of the most effective ways to maximize the space in your small bathroom is to get a compact toilet. Most of these toilets don’t include external water tanks, so they’re much smaller. They can fit into a tiny space without much of a hassle at all.
Make sure that you know the exact dimensions of your bathroom before buying a toilet.
Glass Doors or Shower Curtains
Use a glass shower door rather than a shower curtain. This can make your bathroom seem larger by creating the illusion of open space.
A glass shower door will give you the feeling that the shower area is not isolated from the rest of your bathroom.
Some people don’t like clear glass doors, though. If so, choose a bright colored curtain rather than a dark one that can make your bathroom seem smaller.
Another way to maximize space is to use a sliding door. It is particularly useful for tiny bathrooms.
Not only will such a door save on space, but it will also make your bathroom more stylish by adding a modern touch to it.
Use soft colors for the walls. Also, choose towels, accessories, and decorations items that come in vivid colors.
Just as with any other room, soft colors can make your bathroom look somewhat bigger. Strong colors, on the other hand, can make a small bathroom look even smaller.
Improve Functionality of Your Bathroom
Some small bathrooms have a shower while others have a tub with a shower inside.
If you would rather choose a bathtub than a shower, make sure you save space somewhere else.
For example, you can use a pullout faucet in your bathroom. It’s also possible to save some space by using a washbasin that comes with tower bars.
Choose a small sink over a big one, remove all wall-mounted towers racks , and go for bathroom furniture with curved corners.
Ready to Save Space In Your Bathroom With a Compact Toilets For Small Bathrooms?
We hope you’ve enjoyed reading this post. Our goal was to help people who have a small bathroom choose the best toilet.
Even with a small bathroom, if you choose the right compact toilets for small bathrooms, it can really make the room feel more open and expansive.
These space-saving toilets can make your bathroom look stylish and adorable without sacrificing comfort.